Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Nap time

So, I decided that I needed to get Sage to sleep in his crib during nap time. His naps thus far have been speratic throughout the day. He sleeps great through the night in his crib, so I thought this change would be easy. I was wrong. It was hard... on both of us!

He usually stays up about an hour to an hour and a half after eating. I have been either holding him, laying with him, or having him nap in his swing. His naps were about ten to twenty minutes long, unless we were sleeping on the couch together. Those were long naps. I decided this had to stop. Well, little did I know, that was easeir said than done. First of all, I love holding Sage when he sleeps. I love laying next to him on the couch and falling asleep holding him. Second, freinds and relatives love to hold him. Everyone loves to hold the sleeping baby.

Today was hard! He was using me (or whoever was holding him) to soothe himself to sleep. I didn't give up though. I put him down in his crib very sleepy with the mobile and music on. When he cried, I comforted him, put his pacifier back in, and turned on the mobile. I didn't pick him up, I didn't give in and do the easy thing. He did pretty well for the first day. The longest he slept in his crib was 50 minutes. I'll try again tomorrow. I think they say it takes about three days to get them used to a new routine. I have noticed today that I NEED A NAP!! I usually get to sleep with him when he is napping. Not today! I was up and down the stairs today a thousand times!!

Advice to the new mommies and soon to be mommies... don't start the bad habbit I did. Even though you want to hold your baby and lay with your baby when he sleeps, get him into a routine where he naps in his crib from the beginning!

I got a lot of advice from friends about the napping thing. Thanks guys! If you have any other advice to give I would love to hear it!

Just a cute picture I wanted to share from the other day. Sage is 14 weeks tomorrow!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the new blog face lift! I'm glad to hear that you are sticking with the crib napping. It will get easier, and you will notice a routine start to happen naturally. I hope the girls trip happens. I still haven't heard from Amanda, but I will for sure let you know!

    ReplyDelete